Whether you are tired of expensive trips to the local coffee house or you just want to be able to enjoy a terrific cup of espresso whenever you want it, getting your espresso machine can make a lot of sense.
If you’re looking to buy a high-quality espresso machine, the under $500 price point has some fantastic machines to choose from.
To save you some headache-inducing research we have studied hundreds of models and found three that we believe would easily make a great investment. We’ve listed the three espresso machines below by price.
Our Top 3 Espresso Machines Under $500
|Product||Suitable for||Our Rating||Price Guide|
|Breville BES840XL||Espresso lovers who enjoy the subtle difference of a quality home brew||(4.9 / 5)||*****|
|Gaggia Classic||Buyers seeking an authentic Italian espresso experience without a trip to a cafe||(4.5 / 5)||****|
|Philips Saeco||An affordable machine capable of making quality espresso every time||(4.5 / 5)||***|
Machine number one is under $500, machine number two’s usually cheaper and machine number three has the lowest price on the list.
All three espresso machines are high quality and come with unique features. Please read the descriptions below and decide which feature set and the price is best for you.
1. Breville BES840XL the Infuser Espresso Machine Review
This is a fantastic home espresso machine
Breville has gained a well-deserved reputation for producing high-quality espresso machines, and when taking price into consideration, this machine may be its best yet.
The Breville BES840XL Infuser Espresso Machine first uses steady low pressure to gently expand coffee grinds before using high pressure to extract maximum flavor.
This espresso machine boasts a myriad of special features including automatic temperature settings and programmable volumetric control.
It also has a pre-infusion technology, a thermocoil heating system, and PID temperature control technology. Check out the Breville Youtube video which we’ve included below for a great guide on how to use the 840XL to its full potential.
Other features include a cup warmer, a feature that removes excess water from the filter basket after coffee extraction, sleep mode, automatic shut off and extra tall cup clearance.
If you are looking for the best espresso machine under $500, you can’t go wrong with this choice.
2. Gaggia Classic Review
Modern espresso technology is built into a classic design and chassis for the perfect balance between aesthetics and espresso making prowess
Another high-quality espresso machine is this model from Gaggia, one of the most respected names in the espresso industry.
This machine combines classic design with some attention-grabbing features, including:
- Forged brass components to stabilize temperature with a three-way solenoid valve and independent expansion valve
- Two stainless steel filter baskets (single and double shot), coffee tamper and 7g measuring scoop
- A high-power 17-1/2-bar pump with a high-voltage boiler for quick warm-up times
- Works with coffee pods and is designed to deliver two cups at once.
- Hot water dispenser for tea
- A frothing wand for crema
- A cup warmer
Gaggia’s Classic machine can turn anyone into a ‘Barista’ in their home. That’s why this machine is also in the running for the title of best espresso machine in the sub $500 range. We’ve reviewed the Gaggia Classic here.
3. Philips Saeco HD8325-47 Via Venezia Espresso Machine Review
Perfect for making espresso or a nice cappuccino
Priced around $300, this high-quality espresso machine can quickly make trips to the coffee house a thing of the past.
- A pressurized portafilter to ensure excellent coffee extraction
- An ESE pod adapter so you can use pre-packaged, single-serve shots at your convenience.
- Buttons with clear control lights show when your Via Venezia is ready to brew or ready to steam
- A warming surface with six-cup capacity on top of the machine ensures that your cup will be ready for coffee whenever you are.
- An integrated Pannarello steam wand means you can froth your milk exactly as you wish and provides hot water for tea, hot chocolate, and other beverages.
With the Via Venezia, you’ll be able to create true Italian espresso with signature dark color, rich layer of crema, fragrant taste and intense aroma.
That’s why this espresso machine is another that deserves strong consideration.
Now the Decision is Yours …
In the end, only you can decide which espresso machine is truly the best for your personal preference. To do that you will need to carefully consider the five areas we discussed at the beginning of this article and determine which are most important to you.
Unfortunately, to get some features that are more important to you, you may have to give up certain other features.
You may also have to miss out on certain features due to price.
Honestly, however, with the three models that we have listed in this article, we believe you can’t make a wrong choice. All three will allow you to get great-tasting coffee right in the comfort of your home.
Breville BES840XL – How to Guides