Believe it or not, the flavor and richness of your coffee is dependent not only on the quality of the beans you choose to use, but also how you decide to grind them.
I know, I know, it sounds a little bit crazy that the actual grinding of your coffee beans would have any impact whatsoever on your coffee, but it’s the stone cold truth. Fine ground beans taste a lot different than roughly ground beans, and a combination of the two can unlock a lot of extra layers of flavor that you wouldn’t have even known existed otherwise.
But what might surprise you even more is learning that HOW you actually go about grinding your beans makes a big difference to the final flavor as well. An electric grinder can act as a buzz saw that chews and burns your coffee beans, whereas a manual and hand powered coffee grinder really helps you open up the nuances of your coffee beans and it roastiness without overpowering anything along the way.
Sure, a manual coffee grinder is a bit of extra work and might take two or three seconds longer to power through a cup of coffee’s worth of beans at a time, but the end result is well worth it.
Let’s dive a little deeper into some of the very best manual coffee grinder options on the market today!
#1. Zassenhaus Santiago Coffee Mill Grinder
- Conical burr style grinder is going to make the most of your coffee beans. Their level of roastiness without burning or tainting them along the grind process
- Hand crank powered system is effortless to manipulate without extra effort
- Made to high quality German regulations with their legendary reputation for engineering
- Hand crank system requires more than a little bit of extra time to chew through
- Mahogany finish on this manual coffee grinder is tough to keep looking sharp over time
- 25-year-old grinding mechanism isn’t quite as new or as fancy as modern designs
This manual coffee grinder is considered by many to be maybe the very best manual coffee grinder on the planet, and the first time you run your favorite beans through them you’re going to know EXACTLY why that is.
Beautifully smooth with a buttery action, this hand crank system just effortlessly chews through your premium roasted beans with a tremendous efficiency. You might not feel any resistance at all!
Because of the design and engineering of this device you’ll be able to control the grind level of your beans at every step of the way. Looking for super fine beans for an espresso, or want some chunkier and toastier beans for that depth of flavor you can’t get any other way?
You’ll be able to do all that – and more! – with this manual coffee grinder.
#2. Porlex Mini Stainless Steel Coffee Grinder
- Super smooth grinding action won’t ever force you to break a sweat while getting your beans prepped
- Ceramic conical burrs gently grind your beans from a French press to a fine powder with stops all along the way
- Made to precise Japanese standards and beautifully finished so that it can be displayed on your counter top
- The stainless steel finish does get a little dingy over time without regular cleanings and maintenance
- This is a pretty heavy coffee grinder and may not be ideal for daily grinding every morning
- Cleaning this manual coffee grinder can prove to be a bit of a challenge, especially if you don’t want to taint the flavor of the beans you’re grinding
The Japanese company behind this amazing manual grinder has a legendary reputation for producing some of the finest products in this space, and this coffee grinder of theirs is no exception.
Relatively compact (though it is a little bit on the heavier side of things, if we’re being honest), this stainless steel and ceramic manual grinder is going to breeze through all of your favorite roasted premium coffee beans.
You’ll have complete and total control over the grind level, and will effortlessly be able to go from chunky French press style beans to the finest of fresh coffee powders with no challenge to speak of.
#3. Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill Skerton
- One of the bestselling manual coffee grinders you’ll come across on the market today
- Very popular transparent grinding module allows you to see the grind of your beans as you put it through its paces
- You just can’t beat the price!
- Not quite as easy to manipulate as some of the other competing grinder products available
- Easy to clean, but you’ll have to be careful not to contaminate the beans or grounds that you have produced if the grinder isn’t dried fully before use
- Lightweight construction makes this a breeze to use every day but not nearly as stable as other (heavier) products
If you’re looking to get your hands on a quality coffee bean grinder that gets the job done, offers plenty of customizable options as far as grind consistency is concerned, and makes sure you are able to get your beans ground in a hurry – all without ever having to worry about busting open your bank account along the way – then you need look no further than this option.
Beautiful, minimalist, compact, and within anyone’s budget, this is a top flight coffee grinder that gets the job done without any trouble at all. There are some issues – because it’s so lightweight it can be a little bit unstable when you don’t really hold it securely in your hands – but other than that this is a pretty impressive option.
Because you’re able to watch as the beans are ground through the transparent glass cup they are ground into, you’ll always be able to control every aspect of the grind without any challenge whatsoever. This is a pretty special benefit that a lot of the much more expensive options to not offer, and when combined with all the other advantages it brings to the table makes it a very attractive solution for budget focused buyers.