The Gaggia 14101 Classic espresso maker is a stainless steel machine that whips up an excellent espresso in no time. While it has a couple of quirks, judging from our Gaggia Classic review it still maintains that classic presence and poise, all while being incredibly easy to clean.
Let’s examine the 14101’s pros and cons, high points, and quirks to see what makes it one of the unique espresso machines on the market today.
Gaggia Classic Review: The Pros and Cons
The best way to see if an espresso machine is ideal for you is to take a close look at its pros and cons. What does it do right? What does it do wrong? Let’s answer these two critical questions now.
- Modern espresso technology is built straight into a classic design and chassis for the optimal balance between aesthetics and espresso making prowess
- Maximum temperature stability is made possible by brass portafilters and group head to ensure a consistent experience every time
- 17-1/2-bar pump with a high-voltage boiler provides fast warm-up times – no matter what
- The espresso tastes great! (The most important pro an espresso machine could have, we think)
- If you’re not the type that wants authentic, high-quality espresso from a manufacturer based in Italy, then the Gaggia 14101 Classic may not be the right choice for you
- On a more serious note, the milk wand is a bit of a downer. However, given the robust feature set of this particular machine, it’s easy to ignore this slight issue
- Lastly, you’re going to drastically increase your caffeine levels with this product, so be sure to keep that in mind!
The Importance of a Quality Portafilter Basket
One thing to bear in mind if you decide to invest in your very own Gaggia 14101 is that you’ll want to additionally purchase a high-quality portafilter basket.
It’s not entirely necessary to invest in one, but it’s certainly a very good idea given that it will improve the quality of your final product and give you a backup basket to use in the event you encounter issues with the stock one that comes with the unit.
Does the Gaggia Classic Produce Good Espresso?
The ultimate question, of course, is this one: Does the Gaggia make a great espresso? The answer is a resounding yes!
We found the Gaggia 14101 Classic produces a fantastic espresso in a time-tested, classic design, and we couldn’t be more impressed.
While the machine won’t instantly transport you to Italy, it will give you an authentic Italian espresso experience. All in all, it’s a great espresso machine that does what it sets out to do, and for that reason, we give it top marks.
Cleaning the Gaggia Classic
But, if there is one thing that all espresso machines share in common, it’s the necessity of doing basic maintenance and cleaning after repeated use. Fortunately for us, the Gaggia 14101 is a breeze to clean and keep clean.
It’s easy to disassemble, and even easier to scrub clean. Overall, it’s one of the most easily maintainable espresso machines with which we’ve had the pleasure of dealing, and it completes the experience not to have to worry about routine maintenance being a pain.
What about the Milk Wand?
One minor complaint we have with the Gaggia 14101 is its less than stellar milk wand. It’s a bit of let down because it is plastic.
You would expect that a stainless steel espresso machine of this caliber would incorporate brass and steel parts throughout the entire design, but unfortunately, uses a plastic wand. We were unimpressed with this section of the machine, but otherwise very satisfied with the product.
How to Guide: Make a flat white or latte with the Gaggia Classic:
Our Final Thoughts: A Great Buy, but Invest in a Portafilter Basket!
In summary, we were very impressed with the Gaggia 14101 Classic for its commitment to maintaining that time-tested espresso machine design while simultaneously using modern technology to produce a quality espresso shot no matter what.
We particularly enjoyed the 14101’s consistent quality and easy to clean interior, as well as its classic but modern looks.
One downside was the plastic wand, but this is a minor complaint in the grand scheme of things. Overall, we enjoyed the Gaggia 14101, and it comes highly recommended!